The White Lion in Upton upon Severn is a family run Hotel and Restaurant offering high quality food and accommodation located at the very heart of this lovely small riverside town in south Worcestershire.
About the White Lion
- Privately owned and professionally run by Jon and Chris Lear and their team since 1997
- Our Focus is on 'old fashioned' traditional hospitality together with high quality food and drink
- A warm welcome awaits locals and first time visitors alike
- Our customers become our friends!
About Jon and Chris
- Both Jon and Chris enjoyed successful careers in the corporate hotel industry before deciding to buy their own hotel
- They have been in the hospitality industry for over 40 years, with excellent all-round knowledge of the industry and what it takes to keep guests happy
- Jon : Chef in various hotels including executive chef at an exclusive 5* hotel and golf club overseeing 7 kitchens
- Chris : Trained as a chef however spent the majority of her career working front of house.
About the building
- Our Grade II listed building has been a hostelry since at least 1510
- It has seen many changes throughout the last half millennium, however retains it’s traditional charm and sense of history
- Mentioned in Henry Fielding’s novel Tom Jones as two of our rooms were used as the setting for key scenes in the book
- Civil War connections – Royalist troops under the command of Prince Rupert “Partook in drinking strong waters at the inn known as The Lion whereupon a heavy sleep came upon them” This allowed Roundhead soldiers to cross the bridge into Upton and take control of the church (The Pepperpot) and hold out until reinforcements arrived. The Royalists retreated to Worcester and a week later the King was defeated by Cromwell, effectively ending the Civil War.
- Accommodation in 13 individually decorated rooms
- Bar, fully licenced, with longstanding entry in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide
- Separate lounge seating area
- Comfortable Restaurant awarded AA Rosette for 20 consecutive years from 1998.
- Car park
- Free WiFi
- Outside seating area to rear
- Fully accessible areas for those with limited mobility, including wheelchair users
- Dogs welcome.